Opportunities to Develop Leadership Skills
At Leeds East Academy we provide a wide variety of opportunities for students to develop their skills and grow into the leaders of tomorrow.
The Student Parliament provides direct experience of the democratic process and is an opportunity for students to discuss issues that are important to them. It helps them to develop their confidence and communication skills through debating topics and making a positive impact on their community.
A member of the senior leadership meets on a regular basis with their Student Parliament group to discuss areas of development in their chosen area to ensure that student voice is being listened to and acted upon.
The Student Parliament is split into four departments each made up of five students. Each department has their key areas of focus:
- Department of Health & Well-being - focuses on mental health, exercise, diet and exam stress (administered by Ms Clark)
- Department of Environment & Community - focuses on sustainability, environment & community (administered by Ms Steel)
- Department of Conduct & Rewards - focuses on behaviour for learning, anti-bullying, rewards and PB (administered by Mr Rawson)
- Department of Student Experience - focuses on the learning experience as well as life within LEA (administered by Ms Capstick)
Our student representatives are currently developing their department manifestos which will be published in December 2020.
Our Student Parliament have been meeting with their SLT links this week to discuss their manifestos for the year. Exciting plans are in the making which will engage and inspire the LEA community #SoaringToSuccess #WeMakeADifference pic.twitter.com/qqLsMMH8Fn— Leeds East Academy (@LeedsEastWay) November 26, 2020
Leeds East Academy is proud to work under the structure of a House System, which underpins all initiatives both in school and in the wider community.
The House System supports the work of the Student Parliament and compliments the initiatives that they drive forward. Each House Leader will work with student House Captains to organise charity events, assemblies and activities outside of the academy to promote our core values and their specific area of focus.
Leeds East Academy has four houses and each house is named after a constellation:
Student Communications Team
We are currently developing a student communications team where dedicated students will have an opportunity to develop a regular newspaper and "LEA TV" videos.
In the future, the students will have a chance to work with professionals from a local community radio statio and receive journalism and podcast training.
- Virtual House Assembly
- Reverse Advent Calendar Starts
- I See Purple Day - 3 December - International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Homeless Shoe Box Campaign
- Inter-House Sport Event
- STEM Event
- Christmas Jumper Day - 11 December